Rose Cottage – Uromi – The Little House – 198 Church Path
This house is a very old property attached to Holly Lodge. It is shown on the 1843 Tithe map and schedule (number 136) owned and occupied by Charles Chaplin. Then it had an outbuilding near the rear of the property.
The 1891 census has Mary Brooke a widow.
In 1898 the Street directory has Mrs Ladd as head of household.
This name arrived with Henry Roach who was there between 1906 and at least 1908.
Heraditament number 359 in the 1910 IR Survey. The information on this is only available by visiting the National Archives.
1911 census has Matilda Lee (single) aged 48, a Boarding House Keeper and James & Caroline Brocklebank in residence. None of them were born in Kent. The couple had been married 50 years.
Miss Lee continues in the Street Directory until post 1916. James Brocklebank was head of household in 1921.
The Little House
Renamed again on the arrival of Mrs Backhouse who was there 1922 to 1931. Mrs Holdsworth occupied it from 1934 beyond 1939.
E Ballinger in 1957
Empty in 1966
The picture shows it as it is today, next door to ‘Holly Lodge’. ‘Tournain’ was the other side, now replaced by modern housing.
Researched by Alan Buckman